Download Part 1 - Stolen Lives Project PDF

TitlePart 1 - Stolen Lives Project
File Size759.5 KB
Total Pages200
Document Text Contents
Page 1

ALABAMAStolen Lives: Killed by Law Enforcement

Name Age Nationality Photo

Donald Nabors — Black

Mr. Nabors was shot to death by a white police officer. Authorities refuse to identify the officer or divulge the
circumstances surrounding the shooting. On Aug. 17, several hundred Black residents held a protest at city hall to demand
justice. Source: Yahoo!/States News Service, 8/17/98

August 3, 1998. Talladega:

Calvin Moore 18 —

Mr. Moore was serving a two-year sentence for a burglary conviction. He weighed about 160 pounds on Jan. 26, 1996.
When he died less than a month later, he weighed 110 pounds. He had lost 56 pounds in less than a month and suffered
symptoms of severe mental illness as well as dehydration and starvation after entering the prison. Despite the fact that
Calvin was often unable to walk or talk and spent days lying on the concrete floor of his cell in a pool of his own urine,
nurses repeatedly failed to provide basic medical care. Not even his vital signs were recorded for the last nine days of his life.
An official state autopsy, which concluded that he died of “natural causes,” was called a “whitewash” by an internationally
renowned expert on forensic medicine. The expert said Calvin’s death was “a homicide resulting from criminal
negligence.” The prison’s health-care provider, Correctional Medical Services (CMS), said, “It is clear the health care staff
provided appropriate and compassionate care.” Calvin Moore’s father sued CMS and seven medical professionals, including
nurses and doctors, charging malpractice and negligence. A lawyer for the family said, “Calvin was the sickest of the sick
and they let him die.” A confidential settlement of the civil suit was reached in August, 1998. “I’m angry about it,” said
Gale Moore, Calvin’s mother. “I believe somebody killed him. They can’t make me believe he died of natural causes.” A
lawsuit against Correctional Services Inc., the private health care provider, was confidentially settled with Calvin’s father.
Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 9/27/98

February 21, 1996. Kilby Correctional Facility:

King Casby 37 —

Bobby Dancy 47 —

Lorenzo Ingram, Sr. 56 —

Walter Williams, Jr. 63 —

Mr. Ingram, Mr. Dancy, Mr. Williams and Mr. Casby were incarcerated in St. Clair Correctional Facility. They all died
after receiving improper dialysis treatment for kidney disease. According to a state health department report, a prison nurse
used the wrong chemicals during their treatments, making their blood dangerously acidic. Lawsuits filed by the families of
the four men said that they became seriously ill, vomiting and gasping for breath after their treatments on Christmas Eve
and Christmas Day, 1995. Mr. Ingram, who was serving a sentence for unlawful distribution of controlled substances, died
on Christmas Day. Mr. Williams, who was serving a sentence for a manslaughter conviction, died on Sept. 30, 1996. Mr.
Dancy, who suffered from schizophrenia and was serving a sentence for a murder conviction, died on Oct. 30, 1996. Mr.
Casby, who was serving a sentence for marijuana possession and distribution of controlled substances, died on Oct. 31,
1996. The Alabama State epidemiologist said that “the people running the system didn’t know what they were doing.”
The prison’s health-care provider, Correctional Medical Services (CMS), said, “We believe that Southeast Dialysis (a
sub-contractor) employees may have used an incorrect dialysis solution.” But in the case of Mr. Casby and Mr. Dancy,
CMS claimed that their deaths were “unrelated” to the improper dialysis treatment. The company’s contract was
terminated. Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 9/27/98

December 25, 1995. St. Clair Correctional Facility:


Page 2

ALASKAStolen Lives: Killed by Law Enforcement

Name Age Nationality Photo

Terrance L. Cloyd 20 —

Mr. Cloyd allegedly “snapped” and shot his mother and sister to death. Police claim they found him covered in blood
walking down the middle of the road holding a gun to his 10-year-old brother’s head, saying that his brother was an
“alien.” Police snipers shot him to death. His brother was not hurt. Mr. Cloyd was described as a “celebrated athlete” and
a student at Highline Community College. Source: Tacoma News-Tribune, 5/20/93

May 18, 1993. Anchorage:

Name Age Nationality Photo

Antonio Rentería 23 Mexican

An unidentified border patrol agent fired his semi-automatic weapon three times, striking Antonio in the stomach and
chest. He died in the Yuma Regional Hospital soon afterwards. The border patrol agent justified the shooting by claiming
that Antonio threatened him with a rock and was preparing to assault him. Mexico’s consul general in San Diego said,
“The migrants just want to make it through. They want to get past the border patrol. They’re not looking to fight with
border patrol agents.” Source: SLP Form; The San Diego Union-Tribune, 9/11/98 & 9/29/98

September 9, 1998. US-Mexico Border (near San Luis):

Glenn Alton Haring 42 —

Mr. Haring was shot and killed by Sheriff’s Deputies Stephen Carpenter and Eric Maldonado. They shot Mr. Haring twice
in the head and five times in the upper body and back from two-and-a-half feet away after an alleged struggle. Cops claim
Mr. Haring fired a round at them first. The cops had been chasing Mr. Haring, first in a car, allegedly for suspected drunk
driving and later on foot. The victim’s fiancee said he may have been trying to avoid arrest because of an outstanding
warrant. Friends described Mr. Haring as a hard-working man who was afraid he would never live down his criminal
record (He had spent two-and-a-half years in prison for forgery). He leaves behind his mother, a brother, his fiancee and
her three daughters for whom he cared. His fiancee said, “He loved me and he loved my kids and it turned his entire life
around.... He said he had finally found someone he could love and trust and spend the rest of his life with. I guess he did —
I just wanted it to be for a few more years.” The deputies were cleared of any wrongdoing by county prosecutors. Source:
Arizona Daily Star, 9/20/98

September 7, 1998. Pima County:

Abdiel Burgüeno, Jr. 20 —

Mr. Burgüeno was shot in the chest and killed by Scottsdale Police Sgt. Scott Popp outside his apartment complex. Police
said Sgt. Popp fired in self-defense. They claimed that Mr. Burgüeno charged at Sgt. Popp with a machete after using it to
damage cars and threaten bystanders and that he ignored orders by Sgt. Popp to surrender. Mr. Burgüeno’s family feels that
Sgt. Popp was too quick to pull the trigger and said they would investigate the matter. Mr. Burgüeno aspired to be a
photographer. He leaves behind a two-year-old son. Source: Arizona Republic, 8/5/98

August 2, 1998. Scottsdale:

Donald Lininger — white

Mr. Lininger stopped breathing and died while in police custody. He was arrested by police responding to a 911 call
reporting that he was threatening customers with an axe in the parking lot of a bar. A police spokesperson told the press
that Mr. Lininger put down the axe when officers arrived, but then resisted being handcuffed. During an alleged struggle,
cops took him down on the hot pavement, burning his chest. Officers then put him in the back of the squad car and he
supposedly began to fight again when they tried to apply ankle restraints. He then stopped breathing. Cops denied striking
or choking him and claimed they didn’t know the cause of death. Authorities alleged that Mr. Lininger had a long criminal
record and a history of drug abuse and epileptic seizures. Source: Arizona Republic, 7/28/98

July 26, 1998. Phoenix:


Page 101

FLORIDAStolen Lives: Killed by Law Enforcement

Jerry Campbell 29 —

Mr. Campbell was shot and killed by Escambia County Sheriff’s Deputy Barton Fryer during an alleged struggle. Deputy
Fryer began pursuing Mr. Campbell on foot several blocks from the scene of a home-invasion robbery about an hour and
15 minutes after it occurred. Supposedly, Mr. Campbell was a suspect. A coroner’s jury voted 6-3 that the shooting was
unjustified, a finding that the judge and/or the DA could decide to ignore. In his 11 years on the force, Deputy Fryer had
been involved in two other fatal shootings and one non-fatal shooting in which the victim was left paralyzed. All three of
the previous shootings were ruled justified. Source: St. Petersburg Times, 8/27/98

May 14, 1998. Pensacola:

James Rowlett 43 white

When James Rowlett, a diagnosed schizophrenic, allegedly threatened a police officer with two champagne bottles, Officer
Totz shot him twice and killed him. Reports say that Rowlett had not been taking his medication and was experiencing
withdrawal symptoms. Source: Tampa Tribune, 5/13/98

May 5, 1998. St. Petersburg:

Peter Allende 48 —

Mr. Allende, a homeless man, reportedly punched another man in the face during an argument, then ran and fell down. A
crowd held him until the cops arrived. He died after being arrested by Orlando Police Officers Brett Licciardello and Joe
Sommers. Cops claim that he simply stopped breathing, that they unsuccessfully attempted CPR and that the cause of
death was unclear. Officers Licciardello and Sommers were put on paid administrative leave. Source: The Orlando Sentinel,

April 22, 1998. Orlando:

Brian Wilson 28 Black

Shot and killed after he allegedly shot and wounded four officers. The incident occurred during Black College Reunion and
according to some was inevitable given the presence of more than 500 police officers. One witness said Brian was shot in
cold blood. State Attorney John Tanner announced on July 8, 1998, that the two officers involved, Officer Vincent Del
Guercio of the Daytona Beach Police Department and Deputy Loren Smith of Volusia County Sheriff's office, had been
cleared of any criminal wrongdoing. Source: The Orlando Sentinel, 7/9/98

April 19, 1998. Daytona Beach:

Lhach Scholes (aka Lawrence John Andrew) 30 —

Mr. Scholes was shot and killed by Daytona Beach Police Officer Kenneth Gabrill after reportedly burglarizing a closed
supermarket. Officer Gabrill was responding to a silent alarm at the supermarket around 3 a.m. When he arrived, he found
the glass door smashed and “a trail of merchandise leading to a darkened area on the north side of the building.” Officer
Gabrill claims he saw Mr. Scholes hiding in the bushes outside the supermarket and that Mr. Scholes screamed and charged
him. He fatally shot the victim during an alleged scuffle, claiming Mr. Scholes refused to stop and that it was too dark to
see whether he had a weapon. Officer Gabrill was placed on paid administrative leave during an investigation and cleared of
wrongdoing on the grounds of self-defense by the State Attorney’s office in December, 1998. Authorities charged that the
victim was under house arrest and wearing an electronic monitor when he was killed and that he had a history of arrests,
including burglary and for battery on a law enforcement officer. Source: The Orlando Sentinel, 4/21/98 & 9/11/98

April 19, 1998. Daytona Beach:

Unidentified Man 16-20 Black

The man and a companion were pulled over by a Coconut Creek police officer for allegedly driving erratically around 2:45
a.m. They reportedly got out and ran. The cop ran a license plate check and discovered that the car was stolen. A K-9 unit
from the Broward County Sheriff’s Office was called in to track the men and picked up their scent. Cops received a 911 call
reporting cries for help in a lake. Authorities claim the man drowned while fleeing police. Divers recovered his body around
5:30 a.m. They did not find his companion. Source: Sun-Sentinel (Jacksonville, FL), 4/15/98

April 14, 1998. Coconut Creek (Tradwinds Park):


Page 199

NEW JERSEYStolen Lives: Killed by Law Enforcement

Giodimuray Sulaymanov 35 —

Cops claim Mr. Sulaymanov died from a single blow to the head after falling down the stairs at a slaughterhouse while
being chased on foot by police after a traffic violation. Police claim they handcuffed Mr. Sulaymanov after he fell down the
stairs. But a security guard saw the victim in handcuffs moments after hearing him land, implying that he had already been
handcuffed before falling down the stairs and that the cops may have pushed him. An independent autopsy paid for by Mr.
Sulaymanov’s employer found that he died of multiple skull fractures. The case aroused much anger in Paterson’s Muslim
community, of which Mr. Sulaymanov was a member. Police Officers Vincent Acquaviva and Willie Palmer, who had
chased Mr. Sulaymanov, had been members of a special anti-gang unit that had recently been disbanded after some of its
members were indicted on brutality charges. Source: The New York Times, 7/24/98

July 18, 1998. Paterson:

Franklin Pettiford 47 Black

Franklin was pepper-sprayed to death by five police officers. According to police accounts, Pettiford was seen buying drugs
by undercover narcotics officers. Detectives followed his car, pulled him over, and claim they saw him swallowing a bag of
marijuana. At 10:23 p.m. they smashed the window of his locked car and pulled him out through the window. Cops allege
that Franklin resisted (they do not say how), so they pepper-sprayed him, handcuffed him, and placed him face down on
the pavement. He began having trouble breathing and died a short while later at the hospital. Police claim the cause of
death was choking on the bag of pot. Franklin’s family does not believe this account. His father, a well-known minister,
said that his son didn’t do drugs and was not a violent person. Even the newspaper admitted that it is extremely rare for
people to try to swallow marijuana to hide the evidence as the penalty for possession is only a $200 fine and no jail time.
Source: Bergen Record, 4/28/98

April 24, 1998. Paterson:

Aamira Edwards 20 —

Darryl Elliot 21 —

A driver trying to get away from police crashed into a metal pole, splitting the car in two. Aamira and Darryl, both
passengers in the back seat, were killed. The driver was injured, as was a woman who had supposedly been waving her arms
and screaming from the front passenger seat, which cops said prompted the chase. Source: Associated Press, 4/12/98

April 11, 1998. Newark:

Jennie Hightower 14 —

Jennie was a passenger in an allegedly stolen car in a high speed chase with police. The driver supposedly sped toward
police, and cops fired 20 rounds, killing Jennie with a shot to the back of the head and seriously wounding the 16-year old
driver, Hubert Moore, with a shot to the neck. Officers James Letts, Chris Drew, and Joseph Gachetti fired ten, seven, and
three shots respectively at various times. They claim they thought the driver was giving up and they approached the car
only to see it start moving toward them. The car supposedly hit Officer Drew in the leg and injured him. A grand jury
declined to indict any of the three cops. The prosecutor refused to disclose any details, such as who fired the fatal shot.
Jennie’s brother, speaking for her mother, who is deaf-mute, denounced the findings of the grand jury, saying, “The cops
acted out of hand, and we wanted the Prosecutor’s Office to do something. The officers should have been punished for their
actions.” Meanwhile, Hubert Mercer, the driver, has been charged with manslaughter for Jennie’s death. Source: Associated
Press, 3/28/98 & 5/13/98

March 27, 1998. Trenton:

Guy Walsifer 40 —

Guy was shot and killed by two detectives at the headquarters of the Cedar Groves Police Department. Cops claim Guy
was completing a statement about a burglary for which he’d been arrested when he struck a detective, took away his
9-millimeter pistol and pointed it at the same detective. Two other detectives, Charles Lagattura and Andrew McPhail,
fired several shots at Guy, killing him. All this allegedly took place in a basement interrogation room. Source: The New
York Times, 1/17/98

January 15, 1998. Cedar Grove Police Headquarters:


Similer Documents